Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Day of Reckoning

This morning marked one week since I started my diet with Nutrisystem. I survived one week, don't I deserve some kind of medal for that? I did go to the mall and treat myself to some shopping, but that's a whole different story. . .
One week meant I could weigh myself! I didn't really have any specific expectations. Mostly I was just really curious, and knew I would be disappointed if I had only lost one pound or two. After one week of dieting (including the delicious burger I had on cheat night), my scale now said. . .

171.5
I lost 4 and a half pounds in one week!
Thank goodness this is actually working! It's horrible and I mostly hate it, but it's working and I'm losing weight! So I felt good about it today!!!
Hooray!!!

Here's how my meals have been going lately. . .

Breakfasts-
*I thought I hated all the breakfast bars, but today I tried one that wasn't too bad. . . the Cinnamon Bun bar. It's a smaller bar than most of them, which gave me hope because I thought it might taste better. I'd much rather eat a smaller thing that tastes better than a bigger thing that tastes worse! I'm not saying it was the best thing ever, but it had a decent flavor and I think I would order some more of those for next time.

Lunches-
*Gosh, I don't think I could ever survive Nutrisystem in the summertime! Other than bars, it seems like ALL the lunches are hot, soupy items and you just don't feel like eating those when it's warm outside! Soups are great when it's cool, but yesterday and today we had temperatures here in the 80's and nothing hot for lunch sounded good! What I really wanted was a nice sandwich. . . but let's not talk about how badly I want a turkey, bacon, and avocado club sandwich on some really yummy bread. Mmmm. . . .
Anyway, yesterday (the hottest day!) I tried the cheesy tortellini and just couldn't finish it. Too hot and much too gluey for a hot day! Today I had the fudge graham bar, and I actually thought it was a pretty good bar. I'll have to order some more of those! I wouldn't want it by itself, but with a string cheese and some fruit it made kind of a nice lunch!

Dinners-
*Note to self: Do not order hot, soupy dinners to be following the hot, soupy lunches. Too much watery, soupy stuff and it makes me just not want to eat dinner at all!

*The chicken and dumplings meal was pretty good. Too watery, but after leaving most of the sauce on the plate I liked the actual pieces of chicken, dumplings, and veggies.

*Two nights ago I had the grilled hamburger patty. It said I could put it on a small whole-grain roll, but we didn't have any. I put shredded low-fat cheese over the top of it and dipped it in ketchup instead. It was nice to have a non-watery entree, but the patty had a very strange taste to it. Very strange!

*I have been having really bad luck with the macaroni and cheese. It says to add very hot but NOT boiling water to it and let it sit for 8-10 minutes. The first time I tried it, I had to throw it away because the noodles were all completely crunchy. GROSS! So I tried it again tonight and used water that actually was boiling. It still didn't cook all the noodles!!! Some were cooked fine, but a lot of them were crunchy and it was just nasty. I stirred one ounce of the low-fat cheddar into the sauce, which made it thicker and less watery. So that helped, but next time I have got to get those noodles to all cook! I don't know why it's so hard to do!

Extra stuff:
*Thanks to a suggestion from a Facebook friend, I tried Vanilla Coke Zero. I don't love it and won't be drinking it every day or anything, but I did like it better than any Diet sodas. If I'm going to be eating something that I don't like, I think it will be good to have it on the side to get rid of the flavor better than water does. But I much prefer ice water! I'll mostly be drinking big glasses of ice water.

*My favorite fruit to have with meals or as a snack is definitely sliced strawberries. Love them! They taste delicious right now especially! I was pretty much switching off between strawberries and grapes, so tonight I went grocery shopping and bought pears, plums, and apples as well so I can have more variety. I still think nothing beats strawberries! Unless it was boysenberries or tangerines, but both of those are pretty much impossible to find in Washington. (Sniff).


I have high hopes to keep it up this week and lose some more pounds! I'm on my way to my goal and it feels good!

7 comments:

  1. Great job! I'm glad it's been worth it! I hope you are able to find more foods that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your play-by-play of the food. That will be nice for when you reorder, to help you remember what to get lots of & what to avoid. Congrats on the 4 1/2 lbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job!!!! Consistance pays off!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations...so happy to hear that u loosing... :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found this blog through a friend's blog. Seeing a fellow dieter, I immediately wanted to reach out.

    I highly, highly recommend checking out sparkpeople.com Its kind of a crazy site with tons of tools, but it has some great forums and really supportive people. My mom is finding it a great help as she attempts to lose her weight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEA!!!!!! Great job! So proud of you!! My mom is on weight watchers right now and she was saying that they tell them that for every pound you lose it's like losing FOUR STICKS of butter! Sick huh? Think how many sticks of butter you've lost already! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get a watermelon if you can!!! You can juice it and get something to relieve the non stop water. Ashley you are determined and brave. After how much you have not liked I know I would have given up. Don't forget your veggies! A salad with cut up string cheese and a low fat dressing (Eat light, eat right: Safeway/Vons) might bring some variety to those soupy meals. You can even throw strawberries on top:)

    ReplyDelete