Thursday, September 17, 2009

Things I Have Learned After One Day of Dieting. . .

So far I have learned. . . that diets really SUCK!!!

Yesterday was my first day being on Nutrisystem, and ALL day long I couldn't stop thinking about food! I normally don't think about food that often, but I just kept focusing in on things I wanted to have but can't! It's not even that I'm hungry, I just crave my favorite things!

I thought non-stop about chocolate, cheese, bread, cookies, ice cream, and those brownies I ate the other day. I wanted to just devour delicious food, ALL DAY!
I realize that I sound like a fat girl. Sigh.

Here's a list of the Nutrisystem food I tried out yesterday. . .

Breakfast:
Chocolate Chip Scone- NOT a fan! It was super dense and chewy, and I usually like to eat really light in the morning so it was hard for me to get it all down.

Lunch:
Vegetable Beef Soup- This was a decent soup. I liked the chunks of potato and carrot in it, but I didn't like the black beans in it and it was a bit spicy for my taste. At least I didn't hate it!

Snack/Dessert:
Nacho Crisps- GAG!!! The flavor tastes okay the second the chip goes in your mouth, but the texture is really strange and the after-taste is just horrible. I couldn't finish the bag! Too bad, because I know I ordered a few of these thinking I would like them. Never again!

Dinner:
Three Cheese Pasta with Chicken- I liked this dish just fine. It was much more like a soup than a pasta, so they could have just called it soup.

Other stuff I added on:
-Apple slices
-String cheese
-A few peanuts and raisins
-Sliced strawberries

To impart my knowledge to the rest of the blog world, I'm going to share dieting tips from a first-time dieter as I discover them.

Diet Tip #1:
*Sugar-free gum is such a lifesaver! I bought packs in a whole bunch of different flavors, and whenever I'm craving something sweet and flavorful I can pop a piece of gum in my mouth. The fruit flavors are my favorites, especially the Extra Watermelon flavor! I better make sure I always have packs of gum in my purse whenever I go places, to guard against those cravings.

Diet Tip #2:
*Don't ever sprinkle Sweet and Low over your fruit, thinking it will taste like it does when you put sugar on it. I sprinkled one pack of it all over my strawberries, and it was awful! I had to rinse my strawberries off, but they were still mostly ruined. Plain fruit is much better than artificially-sweetened fruit! Now I know why sugar-free stuff tastes the way it does. Bleah!

Diet Tip #3:
*When you feel like you want to cheat, go look at a picture of yourself that makes you look fat. It takes the fun right out of cheating.


I really hope today is a much better diet day than yesterday was. Aren't the first few days supposed to be the hardest? It gets easier, right???

I weighed in before I started the program at 177. I'm only going to weigh myself once a week, like the program recommends. So in one week we'll see how much I've lost!

I now completely understand why people on a diet start to dream about food.


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Ashley. I am struggling, too, and it helped me reading what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Love it!
    You are such a great blogger. Don't worry hun, the longer you keep at this diet the easier it will get. Once you body is used to the new food, some of theose thoughts will go away.
    I'm going to right there with you in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Ashley!! Wow I'm super proud of you! Dieting is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard for me to! BLAH! When Corey got back from deployment (he deployed when Skyla was two weeks old) Skyla was almost EIGHT months old and I was still 20 pounds heavier than when we got married. YIKES. But I seriously SUCK at sticking to a diet (although I've never tried something like Nutrisystem before) because I LOVE sugar and I LOVE diet coke! However, when Corey got back we started working out together (at home) at night when the girls went to bed. We did free weights. Corey was my trainer. We drank protein shakes after each work out. OH, and I SHOCKINGLY gave up sugar for about three months (although, I did NOT give up diet coke...it was my life line). No lie, my 20 pounds MELTED off of my body in less than three months. It was AMAZING! I couldn't believe how quickly it came off with lifting weights (and I got some rockin' muscles in the process)! Now that was about 8 months ago. Although I've still lost a few extra pounds since then we have stopped working out and I am back to being a sugar addict. I really need to get back on the band wagon of working out because I just feel so much better about myself! :) Anyways, GOOD LUCK! I'm excited to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the Nutrisystem. I am not a dieter either so I found something different that works for me. I read Suzanne Sommers book "Eat great, Loose Weight." I took what I liked from the book (being able to eat almost anything) and left what I didn't (artifical sweeteners, yuck). If nutrisystem doesn't work try Suzanne. She and I have been hanging out for about 4 months. I lost 18 lbs in about 2 1/2 months and kept it off. I get to cook the food I LOVE and even eat chocolate. Like regular dark chocolate. Remember moderation in all things:) You will go through withdrawl for about a week. Getting past the third day is the worst. Then it gets better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like tip #3. I think I will post a fat picture of me on the refrigerator. I would put one on each of my cabinet doors, too, but that might be a little overboard...
    Good for you. You are motivating me. Thanks!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, that food does NOT sound good!!! One thing that helps too is chugging water like crazy and cutting out other drinks. Water takes away a lot of the cravings if you get them. Just chug an 8 ounce glass really quick and you'll feel a bit better, especially if you pop in gum. :) Good luck!!!!!!! And you *HAVE* to post before and after pictures once you're done. Not in a bikini or anything (haha) but in SOMETHING!!! I love before and after pics, they're so motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I so feel your dislike for dieting!!!
    If you have another brownie craving, No Pudge brownies are the best. They really are! They are VERY low to no-fat (they're made with yogurt), SOOOOO yummy and creamy, and a total lifesaver when dieting!
    I've also heard that Truvia is an excellent natural sugar substitute, but I've never tried it so I can't tell you from experience. My mom uses Splenda, but I don't like the taste.
    KIeep going! I know dieting sucks. But doing things that are worth it are NEVER easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe you could add some plain broth to the spicy veg beef soup to dilute the spices a little {in case you ordered more of those} -- just a thought. =) I love how you're keeping the posts real and sharing the highs & lows of this adventure. So motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck Ashley... I have been trying to loose 20 pounds since six months...I have tried all dietings..and i realised they dont help..all you need to know is eat healthy food and after every 3 hours...to increase metabolism and exercise is the mantra...thats the thing to maintain...but All d best...i know how u fee bad to see when u dont fit in old clothes.. :((

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recommend "The eat-clean diet" by Tosco Reno
    She has grocery lists that tell it all, and has great recipes!

    Clean your kitchen out of "junk", or have it in a spot where you can't see it...

    Drink more water also...You're usually thirsty when you think you are hungry.

    Don't eat anything after 8:00 p.m. and eat a "100 calorie" item at that time only...

    Keep it going!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete